November 12, 2007

What would the wizard have to say about this?

Dear Margaret Hamilton,

I'm confused.

So, like, the part where you're writing in the sky with smoke that is somehow being emitted from your broom (all with amazing haste, no less), saying, "Surrender Dorothy"? Are you, like, speaking directly to her? As in "Surrender, Dorothy"? If so, your failure to smoke-draw a comma there creates a lack of clarity.

Or, perhaps you are saying, in a command form, "Surrender Dorothy!" as in, "Give her up and stop protecting her!" to the Tin Man, Scarecrow and Cowardly Lion*?

There are two ways to interpret this, all thanks to a comma (or, in this case, a lack thereof). People like me need answers, Margaret Hamilton.

Also, props on the little loops in your R's. You must have a bit of girly spirit in there somewhere, you wicked old hag.

For this letter you can thanks TBS, as they aired TWOZ back-to-back last night, enabling me to ponder these sorts of things (and for giving me blog material).

Love,
Sarah

*Are those names supposed to be capped?

2 comments:

Alex Headrick said...

Being that Ms. Hamilton died of green paint poisoning, I will attempt to answer your questions.

I believe she's commanding Dorothy's crew (I'd cap them, btw) to give her up, as I think a witch of her stature would have a grasp on simple comma use. And it wasn't a time issue, because if she could write that much in such short order, what's adding a tiny comma?

Also, I'm not sure your R-props are be warranted. They look to me to be done out of convenience, so she could form the R in a single stroke. I feel like it would be difficult to make such a hard turn to write the end of the R without looping around, although I wouldn't put it past her as her sky-writing skills are superb.

regina said...

I refuse to believe the R loops are accidental. I mean, she WAS able to make the hardest break of all - that in between the two words.

If Alex's "R theory" is correct, then wouldn't the WWotW have been more likely to have utilized a comma to facilitate the segue between the two words?

Additionally, she wouldn't have stacked the two words directly over/under one another but, rather, the D in "Dorothy" would have been positioned under the final R in "Surrender"... or, better yet, under the assumed comma.

Witches can be girly, too. I mean, just look at the fabulous accessories: hat, broom, cat,... Why NOT loopy penmanship?

These ARE important matter, Sarah! I'm so glad you're out there thinking about them! Bless you. :)

(Found my way here via Titansphere via NaBloPoMo.)