August 20, 2007

Explanation

The title "Your Sew Vein" is a blushing admission of my tendency to obsess on spelling/grammar/style errors beyond what some view as necessary, or sane. "People make mistakes," they say.

Yes, and I catch them.

This is that place to air our struggles with things that make the world go 'round ... such as love, money, dangling participles and crusading against the comma-happy masses.

"Up-and-coming artist, Tom Smith, will hold an exhibition Friday ... "

NO NO NO. You do not need a comma there. Or there. Take 'em out. Out!!

3 comments:

Alex Headrick said...

Commas are troublesome, but please address apostrophes soon. I'm working on a project now — my task is to incorporate edits into a PowerPoint presentation. I am faced with these two consecutive bullet points:

-Each city gets its' own scrapbook
-Each scrapbook has the following tab's

I am in a world of pain.

Alex Headrick said...

I am excited to report that I just removed two commas from an identical sentence in a coming press release. I fully expect them to be edited back in by one of the five others approving the thing, but thankfully, I'm the one sending it to the wire.

Alex Headrick said...

UPDATE: They're already back. The Comma Wars begin.